- babies will be on a ventilator or CPAP (Continuous Positive Airway Pressure), and come off when they are stable.
- This one makes me laugh...Infant may need a medication called "Caffeine" for apnea of prematurity...I wonder if they use coffee or soda? Welcome to the world little ones!
- babies will be on catheters for lab draws and IV fluids.
- breast milk will be given as tolerated through an IV or tube feedings.
- various ultrasounds will be performed to check for problems.
- most likely, the babies will stay in the hospital until close to their due date.
- possible blood transfusion.
- eye and hearing screenings will be performed.
I will give periodic updates on this as things change. We really are counting by day and weeks here. So many changes occur during this last trimester of pregnancy. Every single day is a gigantic step forward. We're getting there.
It is also worth noting that Charlie and Liv are getting quite the reputation among the nurses. Apparently they are abnormally rowdy and not very good listeners! :) It is always harder to monitor the heartbeats of twins, but these two seem to be among the best of the best at avoiding this. The second they find the heart beat (if they even can), they change position and off the monitor they go. I'm not sure what they are doing in there. They could be running marathons or doing some gymnastics, but they are definitely tricksters. And they tag team. During one monitoring session, Liv might evade the monitor. But during the next, Charlie takes his turn. Oh dear, what will they be like when they get more room to move around?! We might just have our hands full with these two.
I had to go back and edit this post by adding this poem my mom left under "comments." It was just too good to pass up.
Week 28, ain't it great!
Week 29 will be sublime.
Week number 30,
whether you're clean or you're dirty
(and even if you're feeling
kind of flirty),
Will flow right in to Week 31,
and that's gonna be
a barrel of fun!
By week 32, we'll all give thanks
that the twins have almost joined
of all the others who made it to term (or nearly),
and Charlie and Liv will be loved