Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Riverside Hospital: Day 6

I had a cervical check today. I have gone from 20mm on Friday to 7mm today. Scary. But it is coming close to Halloween, so perhaps this is the way Charlie and Olivia are trying to participate since they can't go trick-or-treating. The doctors have decided to give me progesterone. They don't know what it does. Seriously. Some people think that it can help with inflammation that can sometimes cause a cervix to shorten, but they're not sure. Studies have been done that show that progesterone has helped to decrease the likelihood that high-risk patients will deliver early from 50% to 30%. No one seems to know how though. And they are pretty sure it's safe. Hmmm. I trust my doctors though, so we are going to do it.

On the up side, Olivia now weighs 2.6lbs. and Charlie weighs 2.9lbs. As far as premies go, these are decent weights. If we can all hang on at least one more week, the chance of survival will go from 85% to 95%. Though I don't really like thinking in those terms.

Honestly, I wish I had something to add regarding the emotional side of all of this, but I don't. There is so little that can be done, so I am trying not to dwell on it too much. What will be will be. We're just praying for healthy babies right now. That's all.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

we're all praying right there with you, sweetheart.

The Katzbox said...

If our spiritual eyes were opened honey, you would see so many people in your room, on the roof, in the hallway, outside of the door, up and down 315...standing guard, preparing the way, holding the fort, for these two precious-beyond-words, valiant souls that have moved so many people on THIS side of the veil....we can only imagine what goings-on have commenced on the OTHER side!!!...I was in the temple this morning and outside of that sacred structure, I can think of no other place or circumstance more sacred than your room right now honey...Charlie and Olivia..if they can't be held back by a veil, honey, they might be chuckling at that cervix....

Brian said...

Abby, I had to take progesterone (suppositories) for the first 14 wks of my pregnancy. It does work... don't know how, but it does work. Still thinking of you, Charlie, Olivia and Eli -- every day! Lots of prayers coming your way, friend!

Sarah.

Abbey said...

I've been trying to comment for days! Blogger has issues, I guess. Anyway, I took progesterone and I guess it worked for me...although I think it was purely cautionary because of all of the problems with the previous pregnancies. Dr. Blackmon just didn't want to take any chances, I guess.

Anyway....you're a trooper!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...