Monday, June 15, 2009

My New Calling

Sunday morning I woke up, got in the shower, and it hit me...I'm feeling overwhelmed. I haven't felt overwhelmed very often these past 6 months. Kind of surprising really. But lately I've been bothered by the fact that I haven't been to the temple lately and it's so hard to do visiting teaching. I feel like I'm failing a little at my church responsibilities. And then the thought came to me, "it's about time you get a calling." For those of you who don't know, in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, the members are called upon to fill the various rolls within the church. Generally, every member has a calling. But I haven't had one in 8 months because of these babies of mine. Anyway, when that thought entered my mind I felt like there was no possible way I could add that to my already overflowing plate. I also knew that I would be receiving the calling that day, and I wouldn't turn it down i won't say "no" to the Lord.

So what's my new calling? (Because I did receive one.) I am teaching in Relief Society once a month. I was honest with those involved and told them that I would never turn down a calling, but I wasn't sure how I would do it. Then the RS Presidency asked if I wouldn't mind teaching next Sunday. That'll be a time crunch, but I'll give it a whirl.

"What's the lesson?" I asked.

"#35. Redeeming the Dead," they replied.

Of course it is. So next Sunday...Father's Day...I will be teaching a lesson on Redeeming the Dead. Perhaps the Lord is trying to teach me something...

*A note about Redeeming the Dead: As members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, we believe that the Savior's Gospel in it's fullness was revealed to Joseph Smith. Therefore, the full truth of that Gospel can be found in this church. However, those who did not have the opportunity to learn the Gospel in this life will have that opportunity once they pass on. It is our job as members of the Church to do those ordinances by proxy for those who have passed on. If they hear the Gospel and choose to accept it, ordinances such as baptism will have been done for them in our temples by faithful members of the Church.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh, ab. i don't quite know what to say. i don't even know what you mean, exactly, by "redeeming the dead."

is this a GOOD thing for you to have to teach about next week or does it feel like a BAD thing? i don't know. i'm just asking.

and, hey, here's one thing i DO know something about: winter, spring, summer, or fall - (if you're feeling overwhelmed) - all you gotta do is call.

:)

The Katzbox said...

I started crying as soon as I read this. They were GOOD tears, but I was crying. You will receive blessings for this sacrifice of time and the knowledge and testimony you gain will carry you through any inconvenience you may experience. Redeeming our dead....how appropriate....I always thought it was interesting that finding our roots and getting our family in order and saved somehow always "saves" us....the spirit of Elijah moves me to no end...it is alive and well and even thriving....enjoy your lesson!

jerseygirl said...

Abby - remember your first responsibility right now is to take care of you. If you don't, you can't take care of your children, enjoy being with your husband, or anything else. Schedule some Abby time and just say no to all the other responsibilities. They will still be there waiting for you and you will be better equipped for the challenge. Good Luck!

Unknown said...

I made a change in my original post so as to alleviate some confusion. When I said I "couldn't" say no to the calling, what I really meant was "wouldn't." One little letter changes so much.

Unknown said...

I'm excited for your lessons!

Nic and Abbey said...

Sounds like you've got a good start to the lesson already! :)

I'd be willing to trade callings, though.... :)

Jette said...

I'm very excited for you honey. I'm sure that you're going to be great at this calling.

Love and Hugs!!

Valerie said...

Oh nice, I actually get to hear you teach now! And, Reed and I could watch the twins so that you can attend the temple. We're good at multi-tasking :)

Emmy said...

Teaching RS is my one of my favorite callings and I hope you love it! Once a month is good - I teach a class every week and that sometimes seems like a lot, but once a month, your sweet spirit. . girl, it's in the bag. :)

J. Miyoshi Zuehl said...

I think you're going to LOVE teaching RS. I really enjoyed it and definitely felt like I learned more than I ever taught.I wish we lived closer, I would love to help with your little ones when you wanted to go to the temple... or any other time!

Cort and Amy said...

You're going to do awesome. The best teachers, teach from experience.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...