Wednesday, February 25, 2009

A Bone to Pick

We're not the only ones. I know this. We exist all over this country. We also have it better than most of the world. I know this too. But I still have a bone to pick. Beware of sarcasm...

Governmental Aid, people. That is the topic of discussion today. And a little bit about taxes I guess. The deal is this. When we found out we were pregnant (with TWINS), we decided that we should look into Medicaid and WIC. Eli started his current job after we got pregnant, and let's face it, a childcare worker isn't bringing home the bacon. The leftover parts of the pig that nobody wants, maybe, but not bacon. So for only a handful of months, we had a dual income that was decent. Not great, but decent. Because then I was put on bedrest and wasn't making ANY money. But you know what? That doesn't matter to America. Because they go by the past few paychecks, meaning that Eli and I made exactly $28 MORE per month than the cut-off for Medicaid and WIC. Wow. I had no idea we were rollin' in the dough! Oh well. We decided to invest in great insurance. And we did. Fantastic insurance when it comes to hospital bills. Thank goodness. However...

The bills are begining to come in, and you know what? Now that we only have one income, they are just a bit more than we can pay if we ever want to actually have a rainy day fund. Or buy a house or something frivilous like that. And that's just from my stay at Riverside. Forget the NICU at OSU. So we applied for financial aid. We could possibly recieve 100% coverage! That would be great. We have been responsible citizens by providing for our own health insurance (not that thosewho don't have health insurance are irresponsible. :) ). We waited to have children until we were out of school, and we are trying to do our best to provide for them. But we could use a little help. But apparently we make (what is it Eli?), like $260 a month more than the 100% coverage will allow. I'm not sure where that $260 is, because it sure as shootin' isn't sitting my in savings account. But apparently we can afford to pay.

Then...the taxes. I am NOT complaining about the refund we got this year by ANY means. It was wonderful. Afterall, we had two children at the end of 2008, so we lucked out on that one. However. I find it interesting that, HERE, we did not make ENOUGH money to qualify for the larger tax refund. That's right. We made too little money last year for the government to give us more. Those who were raking in the bucks and had a child last year, were paid about $2,000 more per child born than we were. I'm sorry. There is something terribly wrong here. Who did that math? Mom, was it you? (hehe.)

So here we are. Eli is working hard every day to provide for our family. I feel like my government is punishing me for staying home with my children (where I think I SHOULD be), by making it hard financially, and Angelina Jolie and J-Lo took their tax refunds for their twins and probably bought a designer something-or-other. Well maybe not. Angelina is probably using it to pay the legal fees for the next couple kids she and Brad are going to adopt, and J-Lo doesn't need to buy designer anything because she is the designer. But you get my drift. About that bone I have to pick...could someone throw me one please?

11 comments:

The Katzbox said...

It's not fair Abby...it's not fair at all...you don't qualify for ANYTHING?...nothing?...this is maddening...let me look at something...I"ll call you...

Anonymous said...

we won't throw you a bone, but you know what we will do. you absolutely never have to worry about what we will do.

Valerie said...

I didn't realize that the more you made the more refund you got per baby. I bet we didn't make enough either.

Emmy said...

UUUUUURRRGGHH!! Frustrating , indeed! Have you asked the hospital about just taking the money from the insurance company? See if you can work it out. Did you talk to a social worker? Any loop holes? Good grief. You sound like you need a visit from a sister-in-law. :)

Unknown said...

I am so sorry. My son who is severely handicapped is finding out the same thing...do nothing and you qualify, but if you really are responsible and try to work and keep up with the bills but still need a little help, forget it! My prayers are with you.

Eli Bowman said...

For the record, we made about $380 more LAST YEAR over the cut-off for a family of four. $260/month wouldn't be such a surprise.


...no, we missed it because we made $380 more last year than we should have.

Unknown said...

Abby, this absolutely blows. I'm not sure what I'd do if I were you... social worker, lawyer? We have such an unjust system right now. There should be a government incentive/tax break for those of us who work at home to raise our children. Not like we're sitting at home eating bonbons (or reading blogs for that matter, oh! oops!) Ugh, ugh, ugh. We'll send up a prayer for things to work out easily and soon.

Nic said...

I have a couple of dollars from my last trip to bio-life i could throw you!!! :)

Unknown said...

Thanks Nic! I'll take it! :) And thanks Eli for the clarification. And thanks Em for the upcoming visit. And thanks Mom for the things you will do. And thanks Debbie for looking at something. And, Valerie we are probably in the same boat. Ciss B, thanks for the prayers. And Sarah, thanks for the bonbons. I mean...

J. Miyoshi Zuehl said...

And what's even harder is in this situation most people think tithing is the first thing that should go out the window. That's where that little bit extra is going (and of course, rightly so)... that they think you have. This sucks. I'm sorry. Can you reapply in a couple months and have them look at THESE months?
And about the hospital bills, i agree with Em Dog, a lot of doctors and hospitals, etc will negotiate the amount down if you explain your situation or work out a much smaller payment plan that can help. As long as you are in communication with them, they're usually very flexible. Let me know if there is anything I can do!

The Lawson's said...

unfortunately, our system has been such for a very long time. they way it is set up, it keeps people on government assistance by actually rewarding them for not trying to work their way out of it. there isn't any help for those who are trying to make ends meet but may need a little temporary help. it seems once a person is in the system and wants to work on getting out of it, they quickly lose benefits and are unable to follow through during that transition period, because they can't afford child care, food, rent....etc. so they give up. i worked with a number of families in the past that were, for lack of a better term....stuck. i think our government has gotten this one backwards. WIC was a great program but i don't know how their scale has changed with the times...sounds like not for the better.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...